Issue 53 (October 2010)
October 2010, Issue 53
– ACE ASCONA: Having been bought brand new by its current owner in 1980, this Ascona 2.0 Berlina has been cared for ever since; even though it has covered over 230,000 miles in the intervening years, it needed only minimal refurbishment a couple of years ago to reach the stunning condition you see in this feature by Andrew Pollock.
– SINGLE-MINDED: After spending his early childhood on or around this unusual 1955 Lanz 13hp, which was bought new by his father, Jim Kelly lost all contact with it after it was traded in for a bigger model in the sixties. That was, until a chance meeting in 2007 led to a reunion of the two old friends.
– PERFECT TRIO: This month Norbert Sheerin meets with Larry Murphy who, after only getting into the old car hobby in 2000, already has a full restoration under his belt, plus a fine collection of three classic cars. With his Herald convertible, Volvo Amazon and Morris Oxford, he now has a classic for every motoring occasion.
– COPPER TRAIL: This month Andrew Pollock gets the lowdown on the restoration of one of the most desirable classic tractors of them all; a Ferguson FE35, better known for obvious reasons as the Copper Belly. In fact, when Billy Owens bought this tractor over twenty years ago it had been painted red and grey, so he didn’t discover its true colours until its recent restoration work.
– BEDFORD’S BEST: To post-war hauliers and today’s classic commercial enthusiasts alike, the Bedford O-Type was and is one of the finest and most dependable large lorries available in this part of the world, thanks in mo small part to its tough and smooth Chevy-based six-cylinder engine. This month Andrew Pollock meets with one owner who really appreciates these qualities in his classic commercial, as he loves to exhibit his truck at local events.
– MATCH POINT: Matchless built some of the very finest British motorcycles of the first half of the 20th century, not least this V-twin Model J sidecar combination which was impeccably restored by its long-time owner over a period of 16 years and 950 man-hours. Andrew Pollock meets with Maurice Bryan to get the full story on this amazing machine.
– EVENT REPORTS: Event reports from the Olde Times Vintage Club Rally, Abbeyleix Vintage & Classic Club Rally, Charleville Vintage Club Spring Run, Northern Ireland Morris Minor Owners’ Club Display & Run, GASCC American Car Show & BBQ, Limerick Vintage & Classic Car Show, Charleville Vintage Rally, Lissarda Tractor Club Easter Sunday Run, Mountbellew Vintage Club Spring Run, Loughrea Chernobyl Child-Aid Run, Connacht Veteran & Vintage Motor Club Run, Hollymount Vintage Rally, Waringstown Cavalcade, IVS National Rally at the Lakeland Vintage Rally, International Gordon Bennett Rally, TDC Irish Classic Retro Rally, Shane’s Castle Rally, Classic Car Live 2010 and a roundup of the Irish Vintage Scene Ferguson 20 Build Challenge.
– PLUS: All your monthly favourites like Retrospect, Garage Scene, Dealers’ Wheels, Model Scene, Tales from Over the Water, Laid to Rust, Event Round-Up, News & Events, Diary Dates, Your Letters, Pastimes, classifieds and lots, lots more!