Issue 39 (August 2009)
August 2009, Issue 39
– DOUZE POINTS: 2009 marks the 40th anniversary of the Renault 12, a rugged little car that was a very common sight in Ireland up to the late eighties. The one we feature this month has only covered 48,000 miles from new, and is a real beauty.
– THE MARQUEE IN DRUMLISH: Patrick Mullan meets with country singer Declan Nerney, to talk of his other passion; vintage tractors.
– THE SLEEK SWEDE: Made famous by TV show ‘The Saint’, the sixties P1800 may well be the most stylish Volvo of all time.
– MAN; WHAT A TRANSFORMATION: Norbert Sheering brings us the third and final instalment of James Connolly’s restoration of a rare 1958 MAN tractor.
– ERGONOMIC STRATEGY: Andrew Pollock checks out an unusual classic commercial; an AEC Mercury cattle truck, complete with matching trailer, built in memory of a father’s lorry.
– WITHOUT EQUAL: Andrew Pollock delves into the history of Matchless, who built some very fine motorcycles during their lifetime including our photo bike, a 1961 G3.
– EVENT REPORTS: Event reports from the Co. Galway Ploughing Championships, the Gordon Bennett Classic Car Run, Chernobyl Child-Aid Run, Clonroche Vintage Rally, Kevin Sherry Memorial Run, Boyne Valley Automobile & Motorcycle Club Show, Breffni Vintage Club Run, Capri Club Ireland Charity Run, Kinsale Vintage & Classic Motor Club Rally, Loughgall Festival of Motorsport, Llandudno Transport Festival, Minis in Northern Ireland Club Tour, North West Vintage & Heritage Club Parades, Banbridge Old Vehicle Club Drive It Day, IVVCC Tour de France, West Cork Classic Retro Rally, Longford Copper-Belly Ferguson Run Preview, Mosney Vintage & Classic Car Show, RIAC Pioneer Run, Garda Siochana Motor Club Run and Carrickmacross Vintage Club Run.
– PLUS: All your monthly favourites like Retrospect, Dealers’ Wheels, Tales from Over the Water, Laid to Rust, Event Round-Up, News & Events, Diary Dates, Your Letters, Pastimes, classifieds and lots, lots more!