Issue 52 (September 2010)
September 2010, Issue 52
– NO JOKE: Forget all of the mean and nasty jokes levelled at the marque down through the years; this 1961 Felicia convertible is one Skoda that any classic car fan would be proud to have in their garage. It’s also extremely rare, as it is thought to be the sole surviving example ever bought new in Ireland. Andrew Pollock meets with its enthusiastic owner to find out more.
– GREEN GIANT: Boasting a four-cylinder air-cooled engine and a stunning level of finish, this 1963 Deutz D50 is not your everyday classic tractor. Norbert Sheerin meets up with its owner, Sean Roche, a man well-known in the area of Porsche tractor restoration, to detail the mammoth undertaking required to return the Deutz to this condition.
– OLYMPIC CHAMPION: Patrick Mullan brings us a very unusual car this month; the Opel Olympia is a model scarcely recognised in this part of the world, thanks to its elative unpopularity even when new. This stunning silver example looks just as good today as it did when it rolled off the line in ‘69.
– CUB SCOUT: The Farmall Cub is one of the smallest, yet one of the best-loved, of all vintage tractors. This month Andrew Pollock travels to Co. Leitrim to meet the owner of this amazing example, which has been finished to an impeccable standard including the plough and side mower it carries.
– HIGH NOTE: When was the last time you saw a Hino HE truck? Despite being one of the best-known haulers on the road in the seventies and eighties, the HE has all but disappeared now thanks to rampant rust. Thankfully there are some enthusiasts restoring them today, and Andrew Pollock meets with one.
– B1 BROTHERS: In the world of vintage motorcycles, there’s only one thing better than a flat-tank AJS; a pair of them! This month Andrew Pollock meets up with the lucky owner of two B1 350 models, but you quickly learn that his ownership didn’t come easily given the amount of restoration work involved.
– EVENT REPORTS: Event reports from the 43rd Irish National Motorcycle Rally, Leighlinbridge Field Day, Easyfix Vintage Show, Banbridge Cavalcade, Banbridge Old Vehicle Club “Drive It Day”, Breffni Vintage Club Run, Donegal Vintage & Classic Car Club 20th Anniversary Run, Classic Cars at the Argory, Donegal Vintage & Classic Car Club Show, St. Patrick’s Day Cavalcade in Downpatrick, Rosdillig Annual Vintage Rally, South Offaly Ploughing, West Coast Vintage Society Field Day, Gordon Bennett Irish Classic Car Run, Irish Steam Owners’ Association Naas/Cork Road Run, North-East Vintage & Classic Car Show at Mosney and Belvoir Toy Fair.
– PLUS: All your monthly favourites like Retrospect, Garage Scene, Dealers’ Wheels, Model Scene, Tales from Over the Water, Laid to Rust, Event Round-Up, News & Events, Diary Dates, Your Letters, Pastimes, classifieds and lots, lots more!