Issue 58 (March 2011)
- MAXIMUM MIRAFIORI: Our cover story this month puts the Fiat 131 in the limelight. For many years the ‘Mirafiori’ was one of the most popular saloons on Irish roads, before the demon rust and tough lives banished most to the scrapheap. Andrew Pollock meets with a group of enthusiasts of the model, who provide a spread of versions for our photos ranging from a Series 1 1600 to a full-blown Abarth.
- END OF THE LINE: This month we bring to a close our series of reports on the restoration of an extremely rare Marshall MP6 tractor, one of only 197 built and the only one ever registered in the Republic of Ireland. Father and son Jim and Enda Curran from Co. Limerick have been through the mill with this project, but the end result is worth it.
- FIGURE OF EIGHT: The Series Z was the now rarely seen commercial version of the well-known Morris Eight Series E, and this month Mark O’Leary meets with the owner of a rare Cork-registered example, which was built in Ireland in 1951.
- CLOUD NINE: In a change to our usual programming, this month Andrew Pollock brings us a feature on a 1949 Aeronca aeroplane that has been restored to stunning condition by members of the Ormand Flying Club in Co. Offaly.
- THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED: Roadless’ big 4×4 tractors are very popular with classic enthusiasts, as they really stand out from their conventional brethren. Patrick Mullan meets with the owner of a beautiful Roadless-converted Fordson Major, which was discovered lying in a bog!
- ERF MOVER: For many years ERF produced some of the most respected commercials on Ireland’s roads, and here Stephen McEvoy catches up with Castledawson-man Drew McKee to see his fantastic 1971 example.
- SPECIAL PLAYER: In the early seventies a limited run of Lotus Europa Specials were adorned with the legendary John Player Special livery, and Stephen McEvoy brings us a ’72 car from Coleraine that has been given the magic JPS treatment.
- MASSEY FERGUSON 135: The MF 135 is one of the stalwarts of the Irish classic tractor scene, appearing in great numbers at most events. This immaculate Eamonn Barrett-restored example, however, is a cut above most of them, as Andrew Pollock finds out.
- BOXER BROTHERS: Andrew Pollock rounds up a trio of classic BMW motorcycles, two R60/2s and an R69, to discuss their merits and idiosyncrasies with their owner.
- EVENT REPORTS: Event reports from the Gowran Vintage Club Rally, Charleville Vintage Club events, EAOVC Belfast-Portrush Cavalcade, Rosdillig Vintage Rally, royal Breffni Vintage Club Tractor Run, Sammy Fisher Memorial Run, Moynalty Steam Threshing and The Great Dorset Steam Fair.
- PLUS: All your monthly favourites like Retrospect, Garage Scene, Dealers’ Wheels, Model Scene, Tales from Over the Water, Laid to Rust, Event Round-Up, News & Events, Diary Dates, Your Letters, Pastimes, classifieds and lots, lots more!