Issue 40 (September 2009)
September 2009, Issue 40
– THE LITTLE PRINZ: It might have had unorthodox styling and a small, rear-mounted engine, but the little NSU Prinz was considered a serious driver’s car in its day.
– CASE STUDY: Vintage and classic Case tractors are a relatively rare sight in Ireland, so you can be sure that this stunning SO caused a stir when it made its debut at the recent Innishannon Steam Rally.
– 1911 RENAULT CENTENARY TOUR: Tony Colley takes us through the ups and downs of his trip to Normandy in France, driving his 1911 Renault.
– CLASSY BRAZILIAN GT: John P. Byrne introduces us to one of the only RHD VW SP2 sports cars in existence.
– CLOCKWORK ORANGE: Best-known nowadays for their bright orange farm tractors, the Allis-Chalmers concern grew out of a highly-varied background of industrial manufacture dating back to the mid-1800s.
– STEVENS’ ROCKET: The brainchild of the Stevens family of Wolverhampton, the original AJS company produced some of the fastest and most exotic of all British production bikes up to their untimely buyout in the early thirties.
– SCANDINAVIAN HAULER: When Volvo and Scania decided to take on the British truck industry in the seventies it ended up being a rather one-sided fight, as the Scandinavian machines proved to be a league ahead in quality and development. All of these qualities are evident in this 1976 Volvo F88 tractor unit, which still works for its keep on occasion.
– CROSSLEY LL: Justin Roberts takes us through the workings of the innovative Crossley LL oil engine.
– EVENT REPORTS: Event reports from the Mayo County Ploughing Championships, Cortina Club of Ireland Spring Run, Courtbrack Vintage Run, Donegal Vintage & Classic Car Club Run, Knockbridge Vintage Club Run, Newtownabbey Classic Vehicle Show, IVVCC/RIAC Picnic in the Park, Killucan Rover Enthusiasts’ Club Show, Classic Car Live 2009, Innishannon Steam & Vintage Rally, Rathcormac Vintage Club Road Run, Seaforde Working Vintage Club Run, Water Rats Vintage Motorcycle Run, West Coast Vintage Club Field Day, West Cork Vintage Club Run, West Limerick Vintage Club Run, Shamrock Car & Machinery Club Show, Mercedes Benz International Gordon Bennett Rally and Kilbroney Vintage Show.
– PLUS: All your monthly favourites like Retrospect, Dealers’ Wheels, Tales from Over the Water, Laid to Rust, Event Round-Up, News & Events, Diary Dates, Your Letters, Pastimes, classifieds and lots, lots more!