Issue 45 (February 2010)
February 2010, Issue 45
– WORLD BEATER: An example of a rare model on today’s roads, this 1973 Toyota Corolla KE20 wasn’t built in Japan, as you might think, but in Dublin, and received a rigorous restoration ten years ago at the hands of its enthusiastic second owner.
– TRAILER QUEEN: The finishing touch for any tractor restoration is a restored implement for the back, but Ross Kelly went one better with his ’59 Massey Ferguson 35 when he built a period-style tipping trailer from scratch.
– PRIZE AUSTIN: This 1953 Austin A30 AS3 was given away in a Sunday Independent competition from new, and is thought to be the only Irish-assembled example still in existence today.
– SPECIAL K: The Bedford K-Series truck had a reputation for toughness during its production run, and nowadays is one of the most desirable of vintage commercials, as this 1944 model attests.
– THE LEY OF THE LAND: Although there are still plenty of Leyland cars about, their tractors have become a rare sight. This 1972 344 has a strong family history, and has just been restored to stunning order throughout.
– A RETIRED OFFICER: This colourful Triumph T90 might not look it now, but it started out as a Garda motorcycle in 1969 before passing into private hands for its current makeover.
– GLEN VIEW MUSEUM: Tom Heavey pays a visit to the Glen View Folk Museum in Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim.
– SHOW REPORTS: Event coverage from the Fingal Vintage Show, Mountbellew Vintage Show, Trim V&V Rally, Top Gear Live, HRCA Historic Racing from Mondello, Circuit of Ireland Retrospective Trial, Eyrecourt Vintage Rally, Tipperary Light Car & Motorcycle Club 50th Run, American Muscle Cars Ireland Show, Avondhu Valley Vintage Run, Brighton Speed Trials, Castlemaine Vintage Display, Crosshaven VV&CMC Run, The Kingdom Veteran, Vintage & Classic Car Club Run, Knickbridge Vintage Day, Laois Vintage Club Road Run, Charleville Vintage Club Events, Rathcoole Vintage & Family Fun Day, Rathfriland Vintage Rally, RS Owners’ Club National Day, and Kilbeggan Steam-Up.
– PLUS: All your monthly favourites like Retrospect, Garage Scene, Dealers’ Wheels, Tales from Over the Water, Laid to Rust, Event Round-Up, News & Events, Diary Dates, Your Letters, Pastimes, classifieds and lots, lots more!